Who are we?
- This website is run by Middle-earth Reunion (MeR), the alternative tolkien society
- Your webmaster and founding member of Middle-earth Reunion is Martin Baker. Click here if you really want to know what I look like.
- Our group was founded in May 1996 as a "smial" of the Tolkien Society, the idea being to connect folk interested in how JRR Tolkien's sub-created realm of Middle-earth relates to our own, Primary world.
- The Tolkien Society awarded us the Les & Joy Toombs Smial of the Year Award in 1998.
- We parted company from the Tolkien Society in November 2001.
- Membership of MeR is free.
- Members receive our quarterly magazine Reunion which from March 2001 is published electronically. The electronic version is free to members. You can read a sample issue of the magazine here at alt-tolkien.com
- Members also receive our newsletter Parish's Garden free of charge.
What do we do?
- Reunion magazine
Published quarterly (Mar, Jun, Sep, Dec), Reunion: the Journal of Middle-earth Studies is the principal organ of Middle-earth Reunion.
Read a sample issue
- Parish's Garden newsletter
Parish's Garden is the group's newsletter. It is published quarterly (April, July, October, January) to members.
The main purpose of this website (the one you are looking at!) is to showcase the works & projects of our members; also to bring the group to a broader audience. The site was relaunched in April 2001 at alt-tolkien.com
If you are reading this page we must be doing something right!
How do I join?
- There is no membership fee to join Middle-earth Reunion. By joining you will receive our electronic magazine & newsletter completely free.
- You will also gain access to the members' area at alt-tolkien.com
- So don't delay, join today!